January 8, 2024 - January 30, 2024
A student must be a current Henry County Schools resident in order to apply for a school choice transfer. If a student is approved for a transfer and subsequently moves outside of Henry County, the school choice transfer will end at the time of the move.
If the student receives Exceptional Student Educational services, the school selected must have the Exceptional Student Educational services required by the current Individual Education Plan (IEP).
To qualify for the Georgia Special Scholarship award with an IEP for the 2023-2024 school year the student must meet the following requirements:
1) The student's parent currently resides within Georgia and has been a Georgia resident for at least one calendar year however, that the one-year requirement shall not apply if the student's parent is an active-duty military service member stationed in Georgia within the previous year; AND
2) The student had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in effect during the 2022-2023 school year; AND
3) The student spent the prior school year in attendance* at a Georgia public school.
*Prior school year in attendance - the student was enrolled and reported by a public school system or school systems for funding purposes at the time of both FTE program counts, conducted each school year in October and March. See OCGA 20-2-2112 (5)
Prior school year in attendance shall not apply if:
- The student's parent is an active-duty military service member stationed in Georgia within the previous year; OR
- The student has been adopted or placed in a permanent guardianship from foster care pursuant to an order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction within the previous year; OR
- The student previously qualified for a scholarship as provided in state law.
Please note that previously qualified only waives the prior school year in attendance provision, all other requirements including having an IEP in the previous school year and enrollment in a public school are still in effect.
Online applicants will be provided a confirmation email (copy of responses) that the application has been received. This is not a confirmation of approval.
Parents/Guardians will be notified of final transfer approval prior to Spring Break each year. Notification will be in writing and mailed to the address provided by the parent/guardian on the application.
Selected students may complete the highest grade of that particular school before having to re-apply if the student maintains acceptable attendance and behavior. Parents/Guardians are also expected to maintain a cordial and cooperative working relationship with school personnel.
Parents/Guardians are responsible for timely transportation to and from the approved transfer school.
If the student transfers at the high school level, he/she must meet Georgia High School Association requirements to participate in competitive interscholastic activities.
Once a school choice transfer is approved, the parent/guardian must officially accept the transfer by the established date in order for the transfer to be valid. Failure to accept the transfer by this deadline will result in the school choice transfer being nullified.
The window to accept an approved school choice transfer for the 2024-2025 school year is March 26 through March 29, 2024.
The Welcome Center is located at
166 Holly Smith Drive, McDonough, GA 30253
and is open weekdays from 8am - 4pm